June 1938: A Superman for the Underdog

On the newsstands in May 1938, browsers had their choice of Tarzan in Comics on Parade, Popeye in King Comics, daredevil aviator Captai...

Wednesday, June 6, 2001

June 1961: Super Pets Peeved

Loving both cats (although I was allergic to them) and the color orange, I naturally appreciated Supergirl’s pet, Streaky the super cat.

Streaky, being an Earth cat, was even immune to kryptonite. He got his temporary powers from “X-kryptonite,” an experimental substance Supergirl had discarded (Action Comics 261, Feb. 1960).

But somewhere along the line it occurred to me that if cats could actually fly, we’d all be in a lot of trouble.

“Probably the best early Streaky story, The Battle of the Super-Pets, appears in Action Comics 277,” observed comics historian Matthew Grossman.  “Convinced that ‘Krypto is stealing Supergirl’s love away from me...’ Streaky begins a cat-and-dog super-rivalry, one that Superman suggests they take to outer space to avoid collateral human damage.

“Supergirl adjudicates a contest between the two set on an alien planetoid. And while both pets cheat like mad, they remain well-matched even as the laws of physics in their extraterrestrial contest grounds grow increasingly malleable and cartoon-like.

Supergirl discovers that the planetoid is ‘Headquarters of the Interplanetary Multi-Dimensional Practical Jokers Club’ and that Mr. Mxyzptlk and his 5th dimensional friends planted ‘magical joke gadgets’ on its surface.

“Ending the duel with the simple declaration that ‘I like both of you, so stop this silly rivalry!’ Supergirl’s feminine sweetness proves more effective at handling matters than Superman’s challenge.

“The story concludes with Beppo the super-monkey popping by for an unexpected visit and the former combatants both agreeing that they can’t stand their new pest of a rival. It’s a fun tale of tails which fur-shadows the later Legion of Super-Pets.”

14 comments:

  1. Bruce Kanin wrote:
    They smartly avoided having yet another being from Krypton by giving Streaky a unique origin re: his super-powers. Similar re: Comet, the Super-Horse. That said, I was always confused about when Streaky's powers would be "on" vs. "off". Still, I didn't care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob Bailey wrote:
    I thought this was a ridiculous concept…. But I loved it and Streaky too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superhero stories are always absurd. The question is whether or not they wear that on their sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cliff Heeley wrote:
    Well Dan, I hope that you've patented "furshadows"? Love it. When you suspend belief to accept superheroes, you'll eventually love everything, and my excuse was I was just eight. And yes, I believe "A Man Can Fly.....🤔😇

    I replied:
    "Furshadows" is Matthew Grossman's excellent coinage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard Meyer wrote:
    Like so much else in these books, a female figure being told to remove her dress and responding “Yes, Mistress” has connotations now that it didn’t have then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erwin Havranek wrote:
    Excellent. More Super Pets please.

    I replied:
    Well, we COULD get into the sticky wicket of the Super-Horse/Supergirl romance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul Zuckerman wrote:
    As a kid, I guess I didn't mind those pet stories, even though we didn't have any pets. But, as an adult, I find them mostly unreadable though the early Streaky stories aren't so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan Whitworth wrote:
    “That girl always wears the same dress. She must be a robot,” said no one ever.

    ReplyDelete

  9. Mark Engblom wrote:
    The four panels you chose almost single-handedly demonstrate the deep (yet endearing) weirdness of the Weisinger era of the Superman mythos. Super-powered animals with fully human thoughts and emotions and a super "mistress" demanding a robot duplicate of herself to immediately strip down in the woods. A psychologist could have a field day with this stuff.

    ReplyDelete


  10. Mike Barrington wrote:
    It's odd how all of the super pets disappeared from the scene . I remember wondering about " bat hound " also known as ace . Ace had the distinction of being the only DC super animal that wore a mask . You might think a dog wouldn't need a secret identity even if he does hang with Batman and Robin .

    I replied:
    Explained away because Ace had distinctive markings on his forehead that would have identified him. Anyway, a "bat-hound" should certainly have a mask!
    I think the super pets disappeared because teenagers became embarrassed by the silly stuff they loved as kids. Now — much, much older — we can embrace it again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ellis Rose wrote:
    The Super-Pets were campy. But they were also fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Harmony Gates wrote
    They were indeed fortunate that super-intelligence came bundled with the super powers. Although I guess it is possible that Krypto, being an alien dog, was already more intelligent than an Earth version.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bruce Kanin wrote:
    I have to say that I wasn't always a fan of Jim Mooney's art. It seemed a bit too tame for me. He was great with Streaky & such. I think that, back in the 60s, I enjoyed his art but now, looking back, it pales in comparison to Swan, Boring, and of course Infantino, Kane, etc.

    I replied:
    I agree completely. His art suffers only by comparison with the others you mention. It was a great era for comic book art.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chris Kruize wrote:
    Streaky’s thought balloon has a *CHOKE* in it — my favorite DC idiocy.

    ReplyDelete